Parties to a Marriage
Marriage in Australia can take place between a man and a woman, who are each at least eighteen years of age. Under certain circumstances a person may marry if they are under 18.
The marriage can be celebrated in any location in Australia
- Must be in the presence of a Registered Celebrant.
- In the presence of at least two witnesses who are
eighteen years of age or over.
- Sufficient documentation provided to the celebrant for
proof of birth.
- Sufficient documentation provided for divorce or death
of previous spouse.
- Appropriate wording spoken by the Celebrant and the
couple according to the Marriage Act.
A divorced person is not allowed to re-marry, unless his or her divorce from the previous marriage has been finalised. To do so would be bigamy. The second marriage would be void and penalties may be incurred.